What is a Family Navigator?
A Family Navigator is a warm, caring person who has a child with social, emotional and/or behavioral challenges. They are ready to pay it forward and help other parents who may need support and a listening ear. They listen, make connections, collaborate, inform, help bridge communication and understanding, and build hope together.
Family Navigators are trained and supervised by Racker staff. The Family Navigator Partnership is coordinated through Racker and funded through a number of New York State grants.
You may find yourself overwhelmed and want to speak with another parent who will listen and be present. A Family Navigator can support you.
What is a School-Based Family Navigator?
School-based Family Navigators help create partnerships among families, schools and community and increase student success by providing peer support to families. They listen, make connections, collaborate, inform, help bridge communication and understanding, and build hope together.
A Family Navigator Can Support You
They can help identify barriers and help move toward partnerships among families, schools and community
- As a parent you may find yourself overwhelmed and want to speak with another parent who will listen and be present, not offering advice.
- As a teacher you may want a parent perspective on how to open up a conversation with a parent/caregiver of a student who is struggling.
Family Navigators are understanding, respectful listeners.
- Offer confidential emotional support
- Help you find the information that you need in a way that is easy to
- Help you increase your knowledge about community resources
- Help you in finding your own voice to best support you and your family
- Help you communicate with community providers, your child’s school and can support you through the Special Education process
- Share ideas about how you can care for yourself and your whole family
- Connect with you by phone, text, or in person…whatever works best for you!
- Support you in connecting with other families like yours in a variety of ways including our monthly book club series; Coffee, Conversation, Connection
- Assist you in preparing for a school meeting. Remember, you are the expert on your child, and have a very important role.
The possibilities are many and all interactions are focused on a strength-based approach.
Help from a Family Navigator is free, confidential, and is available to ALL families in need of support.
Family Navigators Build Hope…with Heart!
Resources for Tompkins County
211 Tompkins Cortland
call 211 or
Family & Children’s Service
Suicide Prevention and Crisis Services
Tompkins County Mental Health Clinic
Tompkins County Mental Health
Tompkins County Single Point of Access (SPOA)
Resources for Seneca County
Seneca County Community Counseling Center
Seneca County SPOA (Single Point of Access)
Family Counseling Service of the Finger Lakes
Finger Lakes Parent Network
211 Finger Lakes Region
Want to find out more, or just curious to chat more?
Tompkins Partnership Coordinator
South Seneca Coordinator