Self Directed Services
Self Direction is New York State’s current self-determination program. Self-direction empowers people to design supports based on their unique strengths and needs so they can live the life they want. Individuals and families work together with a team to customize services such as Community Habilitation, Respite and more. There are many benefits to choosing to self-direct services, including:
- It gives more opportunity to make decisions and have control over funding used to buy services.
- Individuals and families choose their own staff, some or all of their services, and organizations that provide them.
- It provides more flexible services to meet the needs of the person receiving services.
Eligibility: Individuals interested in Self-directing their services
- Reside in Cortland, Chemung, Steuben, Schuyler, Tioga or Tompkins counties
- Have OPWDD approval for services,
- Have HCBS Waiver Services Authorization
- Be approved for Self-Directed Services through OPWDD
How to access: Individuals may be referred for services through their Service Access Coordinator or your Care Coordinator.