Social workers partner with families and staff to strengthen the skills of parents and children in Cortland, Tioga and Tompkins Counties. We work within the context of the family’s goals, and cultural and personal values to support the social emotional development of children. We participate on multidisciplinary teams, acting as a consultant on family issues and contributing strategies for communication and problem solving. As an integral part of our integrated special education classroom programs, we provide:
- Direct work with children and their families
- Support for challenging behaviors
- Initial contact fore visiting preschool classrooms
- Parent Education
- Workshops for parents
- Link families to community resources
Contact your school district about your concerns. The committee on preschool special education (CPSE) will decide if an evaluation is recommended. Following the completion of the evaluation the CPSE will determine if your child qualifies for our integrated special education preschool classroom or play therapy/counseling.
How to Obtain an Evaluation:
- Contact your local Health Department (Early Intervention) for children younger than 3 years of age.
- Contact your local school district for children 3 years or older.