Raising a child, of any age, with a disability often requires financial resources above and beyond those typically expected. Flexible financial assistance is available through contracts with the OPWDD Family Support Services Councils for parents and caregivers of individuals with a developmental or intellectual disability, of any age, who live with them. The purpose of the fund is to enhance a family’s ability to support their family member to live at home and prevent or delay out of home placement needs.
- Respite: Provides reimbursement for hours paid to a qualified individual to allow unpaid caregivers needed respite relief for individuals residing in Broome, Cortland, Chenango, Delaware, Otsego, Tioga, and Tompkins Counties.
- Family Fund: Provides assistance with the purchase of goods and services, including some emergency needs, for individuals residing in Broome, Cortland, Chenango, Delaware, Otsego, Tioga or Tompkins counties.
Eligibility: To be eligible for financial support the individual with a disability should:
- Live in one of the designated counties listed above
- Have OPWDD eligibility
- Live with a family member and/or caregiver and be eligible for Family Support Services
- Exhaust all other funding resources for the needed goods or services
Financial assistance is not available to people living in certified settings including IRAs, Family Care, Foster Care, Adult Homes or that live independently.
How to access: Requests are typically made with the support of a Care Manager, however, families can also self-refer by completing an application for assistance.
- For additional information about FSS funding, please contact FamilyFunds@racker.org